U.S. Tariffs on $200 billion of Chinese Goods Hits
September 25, 2018
The Sino-U.S. trade war will remain in focus on Monday, as U.S. duties on $200 billion of Chinese goods went into effect at 12:01 AM ET (4:01 GMT).
China cancelled mid-level trade talks with the U.S. as well as a proposed visit to Washington by Vice Premier Liu He which had been scheduled for this week, the Wall Street Journal reported.
“The door for trade talks is always open but negotiations must be held in an environment of mutual respect,” state-run Xinhua News Agency reported. Negotiations “cannot be carried out under the threat of tariffs.”
Meanwhile U.S. Secretary of State Michael Pompeo said Sunday the U.S. was not starting a trade war, but joining an ongoing one.
“The trade war by China against the United States has been going on for years,” Pompeo said on Fox News. “To the extent one wants to call this a trade war, we are determined to win it.”